The Most Important Takeaways
Congrats on making it this far!
We’ve covered a ton of information on this course, so in our final lesson, we’re going to highlight the most important parts.
This will give you an actionable template to get started.
Takeaway #1: What Is the Ketogenic Diet?
The ketogenic diet is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet that forces your body to switch from using glucose (carbs) for energy to using fat instead.
This process is called ketosis.
The ketogenic diet does this by restricting your carbohydrate intake, and it’s typical to eat fewer than 50g a day.
Takeaway #2: Setting Up and Getting into Ketosis
The first step in setting up your diet is to calculate your calories.
• fat loss: bodyweight in lbs. x 12 (in kg. x 5)
• muscle building: bodyweight in lbs. x 14 (in kg. x 6)
• weight maintenance: bodyweight in lbs. x 16 (in kg. x 7)
After that, you need to adjust your macros to reduce carb intake and encourage a state of ketosis:
• protein: 1g per lb. (0.5g per kg.) of bodyweight
• carbs: 5%
• fat: everything else
Once you’ve set up your diet, you will transition into ketosis, which is a metabolic state where fat becomes your primary fuel source in the absence of glucose.
The amount of time it takes to reach a state of ketosis varies, but most people can expect to reach ketosis in two to four days. However, it can take up to 14 days.
Takeaway #3: Managing Keto Flu
It’s common to suffer from side effects as your body transitions from using glucose to using ketones for energy.
These side effects are referred to as “keto flu” and can last from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. These side effects include:
• reduced energy levels, concentration, and mental function
• irritability, increased hunger, and sleep issues
• nausea, vomiting, digestive discomfort, and stomach pains
• reduced exercise performance, muscle soreness, and cramps
However, there are several ways to manage it:
1. Stay hydrated: Staying hydrated is important, as cutting out carbs can cause you to rapidly lose water and increase the chances of you becoming dehydrated.
2. Reduce exercise volume: When dealing with the common side effects of the keto flu, it can be wise to reduce the amount of exercise that you do at first.
3. Get enough sleep: It’s common to become more tired than usual, so it’s important to try and maintain a healthy sleep schedule.
4. Make sure you eat enough: Make sure you’re eating enough fat and protein to help reduce cravings and promote fullness.
5. Reduce carbs slowly: Consider slowly reducing the number of carbs you eat over several weeks.
Takeaway #4: The Best Keto Foods
Here are a few of the best foods to eat while following a ketogenic diet:
• Meat: steak, chicken, turkey, bacon, sausages, ham, salami
• Fish: fatty fish like salmon, tuna, and mackerel
• Nuts and seeds: peanuts, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, and pumpkin seeds
• Eggs and dairy: eggs, milk, and yogurts
• Oils and butter: extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil
• Vegetables: avocados, cruciferous green vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli, and cauliflower, and low-calorie vegetables like tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
Takeaway #5: Avoid These Things If You Want to Succeed
These are all the foods you should avoid on a ketogenic diet:
• Sugary foods: soft drinks, fruit juices, smoothies, cakes, biscuits, etc.
• Fruits: most fruit due to its high sugar content.
• Grains and starches: pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, cereals, potatoes, etc.
• Diet and low-fat products: often highly processed and contain many carbs
• Beans and legumes: peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
• Alcohol: because most varieties can knock you out of ketosis
• Unhealthy fats: particularly trans fats
This brings us to the end of the course. Congrats!
I hope you enjoyed it and got the information you needed. Before I sign off, I just want to take a moment to thank you for taking this course and seeing it through.
If you have any questions, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All the best.
Other courses by Theo Brenner-Roach
Share with friends